Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Federal Protection


The little fox between Ivy and Mia has a big job here in the neighborhood. There is a subdivision of huge homes with a very nice park and sidewalks that meander around five or so man-made lakes. This fox's job, along with other fox and coyote decoys, is to deter the Canada geese from choosing this spot to make their homes. As I was walking last week, I spotted a Canada goose apparently napping next to one of the coyotes. When I got closer I realized the banded goose had died. I assumed it would be picked up promptly and walked on, only to be surprised today to see that the goose was still there. (We have had a huge blizzard so I haven't walked there for about five days.) I saw some city workers tending to broken tree limbs so I told them about the bird. They told me to call animal control. I called Wichita Parks and Wildlife who told me that Canada geese are federally protected and they can't touch them, even a dead one. I am not even allowed to pick up the bird and report it! There is only one person in the Wichita area who is licensed to pick up the bird, and he charges a minimum of $60. He has to file paperwork and report the bird to the banding people. After we talked awhile, the plan was for him to call someone he knows in the subdivision to notify the homeowners association, who hopefully will pay to have the carcass picked up. I told him to call me back if they refused. He said that the reason the bird has been there so long is probably because nobody wants to pay to have it picked up. Mind you, it is in a VERY wealthy neighborhood. Anyway, I just felt the need to write about this. The poor little bird's body is just lying there as people walk by and watch it rot. My point is, I guess, to beware of letting the federal government protect you-you might not get the service you think you will get!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Terrible. Oh, Grandpa is going to have a field day with this one.

I might also say, be careful of choosing your well-to-do neighbors and beautifully-kept parks, you may not be getting the responsible grown-ups you expect.